13 February 2012

Where to begin...

When I was little, all I played with were Barbies for the most part.  I was obsessed.  I had ridiculous amounts of these dolls lying around my bedroom and toy room.  As I got older, my love of them didn't decrease, but I became more concerned about what girls my age "should" be doing.  Many of my dolls were lost around this time, in yard sales and the like, while some got placed into crates in the basement.

Last winter, I found this crate in it and discovered all the great dolls I still had.  It seemed a shame to let them sit there like that.  Still, the box sat in my room for a few months after that.  At the beginning of the summer, I decided I needed to do something with them.  By this time, I'd started to see some interesting flickr accounts and blogs that inspired me.  I picked out my main family (which I later changed) and started building them a house, making as much of it as I could.  It's not the best.  I know there are things I would know to do better now and I plan to utilise them in the future.  But it was over these summer months that I realized how much I love collecting dolls and building dioramas.  I love thinking of back stories.  I like seeing them out.

Since the summer, I have bought numerous dolls and spent countless hours decorating and redecorating the house.  I don't plan to stop any time soon because I really enjoy it.  Not many people know about this hobby because I'm always afraid of people misunderstanding it, as I feel so often happens in many areas of my life.  I think my parents are the only ones fully aware of how much it's come to mean to me.  I may have only told one other person.  I'm not quite sure.  But hopefully, as I begin to feel more comfortable around people in general, more will be let in on my little secret.

It's good for me to have a creative outlet that isn't just my writing.  It's good to have something else to do when I get stuck in the world of words.  It's a different way to tell stories and that's what I love doing best.

I do it for myself, for my own enjoyment, which is the main reason I've started this blog as well.  It doesn't matter if it's read, as long as I get it out.

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. I'm in 9th grade and 15 yrs. Of age. The only people who really know I play with doll are my parents, my closest friends, and family. But even then it's kinda strange telling even your closest friends that you play with dolls still. But I love them, and that's who I am,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you're staying true to who you are. If playing with dolls is what you love to do, don't let anyone stop you. :)

      Delete
    2. I love dolls, but sometimes I wished I hadn't told my bedtime Avery she sometimes uses it as black mail if I say something she doesn't like. Lol but I think she's just joking around cause even though she says she will she never does. I don't think she has the heart to do it.
      My friend Autumn doesn't even care that I play with dolls.
      My Mother has told me several times over the years that she is no longer buying me doll, but she never keeps her word. Lol I just love My Mother.
      The rest of my family thinks it is perfectly normal.
      So I just keep playing with dolls no matter what.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, even a year since making this post, not that many people know. Those who do aren't bothered in the slightest. I think most people are just interested because it's not a hobby they hear often.
      It's great that you've had a mostly positive experience!

      Delete